The one-story building is clad in cut granite and highly detailed in classical American Georgian architecture with carefully proportioned and detailed Ionic Columns with carved capitals, entablature, and cornice. The design of the building is based on careful research of the classical styles and a study of the tradition of the New England area and its rich architectural and religious history. We married the local tradition and history with the unique function of the LDS temple and were able to create a beautiful building that is comfortable in its new surroundings.
Located just outside of the historic town of Hartford, the Temple is a single-story building clad in cut stone and highly detailed in the Neo-Classical revival style of American Georgian architecture, with a Federal influence. The temple features carefully proportioned and detailed Ionic pilasters with richly carved capitals and a full entablature and cornice. The slender tower rises in steps to 117 feet, and is topped with a gold statue of the Angel Moroni.
The entrance is under a beautiful portico supported by eighteen-foot tall Ionic columns. The triangular tympanum features a wreath of Oak leaves (Connecticut’s state tree) and is flanked by elaborate acanthus scrolls, carved in stone. The design is based on careful research of historic New England and traditional American architecture.
The graceful steeple is evocative of Farmington’s First Church of Christ Congregational, a landmark designed in 1772 by master builder Judah Woodruff, the great-uncle of LDS Church president Wilford Woodruff. President Woodruff was born in Farmington (now Avon) in 1807. Inside, the oak leaf and acorn are major design motifs, reflecting the beauty of Connecticut’s oak trees— the famous Charter Oak in particular. Details in the temple’s trim and moldings were inspired by classical design with details inspired by nature, such as floral motifs. Solid wood doors are detailed to reflect New England Architecture and ceilings have simple crown moldings. These rosettes range from simple to large compositions and include carved wood moldings inspired by the old Connecticut State House.
Client The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day SaintsSize 37,237 sf